Marine Monitor is a lower cost radar solution to effectively monitor marine protected areas.
OTHER MARINE MONITOR RESOURCES
- Marine Monitor Data Sheet
- Marine Monitor Radar System Cloud Viewer Overview
- Marine Monitor Radar Selection Report
- For more information on marine radars please see the Furuno Operator’s Guide to Marine Radars
How we as humans use the San Francisco Bay has been poorly documented. This system, with radar, video and AIS, will enable us to document one of the predominant uses of the Bay: boating of all sorts. This is incredibly important to assess the risk of ship strikes to marine mammals, as more dolphins, porpoises and whales are entering the Bay, not to mention seals and sea lions! Vessels moving through the Bay also create an acoustic presence, affect the air, and create threats of fuel spills and point-source pollutants. We need a clear picture of how we use the Bay if we want to manage and conserve it.
– Ellen Hines, PhD, Associate Director and Professor of Geography & Environment, Romberg Tiburon Center for Environmental Studies, San Francisco State University